It's November and winter is coming. Surprisingly, for the past weeks one of the most bought item in my shop was mineral sunscreen. Whether you're getting ready for your ski retreat, tropical vacation or you wish to protect your skin against harmful UV rays throughout the year, mineral sunscreen is something you want to have with you.
To be honest, when I first used mineral sunscreen I was disappointed. But because I stubbornly decided to stop using chemical sunscreen and already have bought a mineral one, I have continued to used it. And after I've learned the whys and the hows, I couldn't be happier with my choice to use something that is not only healthy and safe for my own body, but also for the environment.
So, if you are interested in trying mineral sunscreen, or already have and struggled with it, there are a few factors you'd need to consider.
Mineral sunscreen works differently than the chemical one and it takes a bit of getting used to. Once you learn that mineral sunscreen works by forming a physical barrier between your skin and the sun rays, therefore it doesn't get absorbed into the skin but it sits on it, it's easier to shift your habits into using it correctly.
After experiencing with mineral sunscreen an entire summer, here are my tips and tricks for a pleasant and efficient mineral sun protection:
* Get used to the idea of your skin looking slightly bleached when wearing mineral sunscreen.
* You can apply right before sun exposure, as mineral sunscreen starts working as soon as applied.
* Before applying, make sure your skin is well hydrated.
* Do not apply the mineral sunscreen on wet skin (on wet skin it gets cakey and difficult to spread).
* Apply gradually, first dot the mineral sunscreen over the area of skin needed to be covered, then spread it with the palm of your hand. Keep rubbing till it's evenly distributed and no white strokes are noticeable.
* While under the hot sun, reapply at least after 2 hours of normal activity, after 30-40 minutes of swimming or sweating, and immediately after towel drying or whenever you feel like it might have been rubbed off (for example: after repeatedly turning over on the towel when sunbathing, or dressing and undressing).
* The Amazinc! Mineral Butter SPF30 available at myMïdori is vegan, is great for all year around, but on hot summer days or tropical vacations, I would strongly recommend the Mineral Lotion SPF50.
* Both Amazinc! Mineral Butter and Mineral Lotion make perfect primers, they do really well under makeup, the Butter is more mat, the Lotion leaves a slight sheen.
Remember to reapply, more often than you would a chemical sunscreen!